Saturday 4 July 2009

Positive Mental Attitude?

PMA used to be the "in" thing. The 1980's were full of people promoting a Positive Mental Attitude". This has been replaced with Self-Motivation. The title may have changed but the mind set remains the same.

I had a very positive meeting this morning and felt very motivated when I left it. I have a follow up meeting on Tuesday which will lead to something very useful. You would think that I was therefore going to have a great day from there on in.

A trip to the supermarket soon put paid to that. I loathe supermarkets and the other people that shop in them. I can't even bring myself to look for the positives in being there. The weather was warm and oppressive, which gave me another excuse for becoming drained of positive thoughts.

Despite what I teach my clients at www.bespeak.co.uk I still let this one place get to me. What is worse, is that I actively choose not to try and improve things. I look on it as "the exception that proves the rule", or tell myself that "a change is as good as a rest"

Despite all this, today I left the supermarket feeling really great. It was busier than usual, there were lots of people blocking the aisles and the queues at the checkout were longer than usual.

The girl at our checkout was nicely turned out, had a fantastic smile and was pleasant to even the most awkward of customers. She was efficient and had time to chat while scanning our purchases.

I don't know what was motivating her, but whatever it was it was working. Before leaving the shop, I managed to get hold of the manager and tell him how much I had enjoyed the service. Hopefully my comments to him will have done her some good.

She certainly left me feeling better than I ever have on leaving a supermarket. Who knows I might even enjoy my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments as this will help me to focus my postings on what the readers want